What is Retinyl Palmitate?
Vitamin A (commonly referred to as retinol), is a crucial ingredient in maintaining optimal skin health. Working on both the dermis and the epidermis, this fundamental vitamin can attach itself to skin cells, normalizing their function and getting them to behave like younger, healthier versions of themselves.
There are 3 forms of vitamin A (retinol, retinal, and retinoic acid) that collectively are known as retinoids. Retinyl palmitate is an ester form and the mildest version. In order to become active, it is converted into a retinoic acid (the strongest version), by the skin at a cellular level.
Why Should You Use It?
Because of the conversion, retinyl palmitate takes a bit longer to work, but the upside is that it does not cause the reactions and irritations that stronger retinoids do including itching, redness, peeling and sun sensitivity. Even sensitive skin can use retinyl palmitate.
- Accelerates cell turnover: It causes the cells on the epidermis (the outermost layer of the skin) to turn over quickly and die, making room for new cell growth underneath.
- Stimulates collagen production: Once retinyl palmitate is converted to retinoic acid in the skin, it binds to specific receptors in the cells that lead to increased collagen production.
- Lessens the appearance of wrinkles: Because retinoids slow down the breakdown of collagen. It also thickens the epidermis and dermis, which is where wrinkles begin to form.
- Brightens skin: The exfoliating properties of retinyl palmitate can create smoother, more even skin, with less discoloration.
- Reduces Acne Formation: In speeding up cell turnover and acting as an exfoliant, it can help to unclog pores.
When Should You Use It?
Consistency is key when it comes to retinyl palmitate and results are cumulative. It is safe to use daily after cleanser and toner. If you are planning on spending more than 30 minutes of time in the sun, when using it during the day, it is best to use sunscreen.
What Products Should You Use?
Below are my favorite products that contain this great ingredient: