image description

Why is it Important to Take Great Care of Your Skin? 

Health and wellness often focus on working out, eating healthier, and taking more time for us, but it is equally as important to focus on skin care, as it is an essential part of the health of our bodies. Investing in your skin will pay off in many ways; you will be healthier, age more gracefully, and feel better! 

  • As it is our largest organ, our skin is the protective covering of the body. It is responsible for 25% of our immune system. Our skin consists of three layers: the epidermis, the dermis, and the subcutaneous layer. The epidermis is the paper-thin outer layer of the skin. The outer layer of the epidermis consists of dead cells that are always flaking or washing off. These are replaced by new cells created in the lower portion of the epidermis, which move upward to the outside of the skin. As they do so, the cells harden and die. This cycle of cell production and replacement takes about 28 days (about 4 weeks). 
  • Skin also helps to regulate body temperature through the sweat glands. When the body becomes overheated, sweat glands give off moisture, which cools the body as it evaporates. As the body part responsible for the sense of touch, the skin works with the nervous system to alert the body to potential dangers by detecting pressure, pain, heat, and cold. 
  • When exposed to the sun's ultraviolet rays, the skin manufactures Vitamin D, an essential vitamin for healthy skin. Vitamin D promotes the body's absorption of calcium, which is essential for the normal development of healthy teeth and bones. 
  • What we put into our body is 70% responsible for its health, while the remaining 30% is how we treat it on the outside. And when I talk about the skin, I am not just referring to the face, which I believe starts at the nipples and ends at the hairline - I am referring to the entire body. Do not forget about your arms, legs, butt, back, stomach and hands. 

What Are the Most Important Elements in A Proper Skincare Routine?

Your at-home skincare regimen is crucial, as it supports the results of the treatments and maintains the health of the skin. The best results are cumulative and therefore, consistency is KEY. Make sure to create a morning and evening skincare routine that you can stick to and can afford.  

  • An evening skincare regimen is by far the most imperative, as skin has a 60% greater capacity to absorb products during this time of rest. So do not skip it!  
  • If you cleanse, tone, massage and moisturize with the proper products, you are doing the essentials.  
  • Massage, masking, and exfoliating are great additions 1-2x per week.  
  • If you are exposed to the sun for more than 20-30 minutes, make sure to apply sunscreen to protect the skin against harmful rays. 
  • When your climate changes either because of the season or travel, you should tweak your treatments and skin care products. Add richer oil-based moisturizers in freezing cold temperatures and lighter water-based ones in the heat.  
  • Save any intense or invasive treatments for milder spring or fall temperatures. Skin will heal much faster as it is not busy fighting the extreme temperatures of winter and summer. 

How Do I Know Which Products Are Best for My Skin?

No matter the budget, you can always take good care of your skin. Begin by seeking out a professional to guide you in both treatment and product choices. We each have unique skin conditions, lifestyles, and live in different climates, which all affect the health of our skin. A skilled professional will give you the right information rather than a girlfriend, who may have a completely different lifestyle and skin condition than you do. 

It is important that you are as honest with your professional as you would be with any doctor and confide in them so that they can help maximize your results and not prescribe anything that could harm it. Whether you get treatments once a year, once a season, once a month or more, it will make a difference. Each treatment is a chance to check on progress, measure results and make changes and adjustments if necessary. 





Tools & Masks

For The Body