I am writing this as I crawl into bed, exhausted after 5 crazy days preparing an incredible group of women for the ‘ Oscars of Fashion’, the Met Ball.
The Met Ball is an iconic NYC event that is directed by arguably, the most important woman in fashion, Anna Wintour, who I was lucky enough to call a client for 11 years when I was based in New York.
This year, I am returning to my favorite city and opening up a NY Studio where I will be in attendance once a month and I thought this week would be the perfect time to launch the space!
Wow, what a week! The women (and man) that came through my door were all powerhouses and it was such a pleasure to see old friends and make new ones. We focused on ‘Red Carpet’ facials and used a combination of the most innovative technology including cryotherapy and LED light therapy, with my signature massages and my favorite products. Everyone received a highly customized facial depending on their skin’s condition the day that I saw them.
Below are a few tips for your next big event:
- The most important thing, is to make sure you prepare your skin for rest and relaxation the evening before the event. From makeup removal and cleansing your skin, to toning and moisturizing with proper serums and moisturizers. Your skin is 60% more potent to absorb everything during your sleep (the cell renewal time). Automatically, everything you apply will penetrate easier and the effects of your products will be more noticeable.
- Don’t over Exfoliate. Over exfoliating, or using harsh cleansers may seem like a good idea, but in reality, they can remove the skin's hydrating oils and destroy the lipdic layer making your skin more vulnerable. Exfoliating should be done no more than 3 times per week, and you should always use a moisturizer afterwards. My favorite product for this is the Biologique Recherché P50 Lotion. P50 is an exfoliating toner that balances the pH in your skin, and is made up of lactic acid, witch hazel, and many vitamins. It makes your skin look brighter, cleaner, and clearer. Follow with a generous dab of Crème Masque Vernix
- Avoid Heat. Heat in general is quite aging for the skin as It throws off the natural balance of your skin and cause dehydration. Opt for lukewarm water, or cap your steamy shower off at the 5-minute mark. To combat any dryness, I highly recommend Environ Derma-lac lotion mixed with their A, C, E Oil, this adds the most beautiful glow and is incredibly moisturizing.
- Skip the makeup remover and abstain from using makeup wipes. Makeup remover can strip your skin of its natural oils, while makeup wipes dehydrate and spread dirt and grime all over your face. Use a cleanser that does double duty like Malin + Goetz gentle foaming cleansing gel replaces harsh detergents with grapefruit extract. It’s a great pick for makeup removal – eye makeup included! – and you might find you don’t need to use a separate toner afterward.
- Do not neglect your neck, décolleté or hands as these are more delicate areas that show aging first. Your ‘face’ starts at forehead and ends at your nipples!