- Wrinkles are caused by the breakdown of proteins in the dermis, called collagen and elastin, that build up your skin structure.
- You can build a skincare routine with cleansers, toners, serums, and moisturizers that all help address wrinkles and boost collagen production.
- Helpful skincare product ingredients for fighting wrinkles include vitamin C, retinol, peptides, ceramides, and other hydrating ingredients.
- Joanna Czech offers a long list of products that help you combat wrinkles.
For many of us, wrinkles and fine lines are our worst fear. Now, there’s nothing wrong with a few wrinkles, as aging is natural, but if we can take steps to minimize them and accentuate our natural beauty, then we might as well do everything we can to inspire our self-confidence.
Through a skincare routine that offers the right vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, we can both prevent wrinkles and address pre-existing wrinkles. With just a few anti-wrinkle products, you can start evening your skin in all areas of your routine, from cleansing to sun protection. Let’s dive into what you need to know about wrinkles and cover some of my favorite anti-wrinkle products.
What Causes Wrinkles?
A wrinkle is a line that appears as your skin becomes thinner, decreases in volume, and loses its elasticity. Several factors can cause wrinkles, but they all center around the presence of two crucial proteins—collagen and elastin.
These two proteins are responsible for building the foundation of your skin in the dermis. When they break down, this foundation starts to weaken, allowing skin to sag and develop wrinkles.
Several factors can break down collagen and lead to wrinkles. These include:
- Aging – Aging is the number one cause of wrinkles, as the body begins to slow down its production of collagen and elastin, weakening the structure under the skin.
- Repeated facial expressions – As you repeat certain facial expressions, the collagen in select areas breaks down, leaving wrinkles and fine lines behind.
- Sun damage – Sun damage is a harsh influence on wrinkles. UV rays can damage the cells in multiple layers of the skin, causing early aging of the skin and harming their ability to produce collagen and elastin.
- Dryness – If your skin does not receive the hydration it needs, it can lose its volume and firmness and sag.
With the many causes of wrinkles, it’s important to build a skincare routine that best fits your needs and can offer protection against all of the above risks. Choose products that also address the root issue—collagen and elastin production. A comprehensive skincare routine that accounts for all these factors will help you achieve your ideal skin.
Which Key Ingredients Help Fight Wrinkles?
Finding the right products to help you combat wrinkles comes down to finding the products with the best formula. With the right formula, you can take steps to combat wrinkles at every step of your routine, from washing your face to moisturizing.
Key ingredients that can help you fight wrinkles include:
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C plays a crucial role in stimulating collagen production, boosting the structure under your skin to promote elasticity and firmness.
- Retinol – Retinoids come from vitamin A and, like vitamin C, can help your skin produce more collagen to provide more structure to the skin.
- Peptides – Peptides are groups of amino acids that make proteins like collagen. Like retinoids, peptides can help provide benefits to slow down the aging process, but they’re also better suited for people with sensitive skin.
- Ceramides – Ceramides can promote skin structure by helping the skin stay hydrated and fighting harmful molecules called free radicals that lead to aging and wrinkles.
Checking the label on your skincare products can go a long way toward helping you find the best option for boosting your arsenal against wrinkles.
Yes, cleansers are meant for cleaning your pores and removing dirt from the surface of your skin, but that doesn’t mean they can’t support your efforts to slow down the aging process, too. Cleansers can provide additional nutrition to your skin, promote a healthy skin texture, and improve absorption of other skincare products.
Augustinus Bader – The Cleansing Balm
The Augustinus Bader Cleansing Balm features a gentle formula with a blend of all-natural ingredients that cleans, hydrates, and nourishes all at the same time.
- What It Does – This balm glides across the skin, rinsing away impurities and makeup. It gently conditions, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin for a smooth appearance. As it cleans, it also tones and purifies the skin for a clearer complexion.
- Key Ingredients –Sunflower seed, coconut, avocado, and olive oils provide healthy fats and antioxidants, like vitamin E, to lock in moisture and prevent aging. It’s also rich in vitamin C for boosting collagen production.
- Who Is It Good For – This balm is suitable for all skin types, including those with sensitive skin. The formula is non-pore clogging, fragrance-free, and without any heavy metals. It’s also vegan and gluten-free.
Forlle’d – Hyalogy Creamy Wash
The Hyalogy Creamy Wash is a light cleansing foam with derivatives of coconut oil that gently cleanses the skin and provides nourishment for a rejuvenated skin tone and texture.
- What It Does – The Hyalogy Creamy Wash accomplishes several things in one formula: cleaning without irritation, nourishing and soothing the skin, promoting an even complexion, and boosting elasticity.
- Key Ingredients – This cleanser features many ingredients for addressing wrinkles, like hydrating coconut oil, healthy fatty acid-rich plant oils, moisturizing ceramides, and collagen-stimulating retinol.
- Who Is It Good For – This cleanser is suitable for anyone but is especially great for those suffering from hypersensitive skin, irritation, dryness, or redness.
Biologique Recherche – Lait VIP O2 Oxygenating Milk Cleanser
Biologique Recherche’s Lait VIP O2 Oxygenating Milk Cleanser offers a unique formula that allows the skin to breathe better, rebalancing the skin and reducing the effects of aging.
- What It Does – This cleanser removes pollutants, makeup, and other impurities. On top of cleansing, this complex helps to rebalance the skin and protect against the harsh impacts of the surrounding environment.
- Key Ingredients – Lait VIP O2 Oxygenating Milk Cleanser has several ingredients that can combat wrinkles, like vitamin E to fight aging, glycerin and hyaluronic acid to hydrate the skin, and prickly pear cactus extract to provide antioxidants. This formula also contains the unique ingredient perfluorodecalin, a compound that improves oxygen delivery between cells.
- Who Is It Good For – This product is good for people who are frequently exposed to environments with rampant pollution and need a deep cleaning for their skin.
A good toner is a must-have in your skincare routine if you are going to ward off wrinkles. A toner will help remove impurities and rebalance your skin’s pH while also improving the absorption of other helpful anti-wrinkle products.
Joanna Czech – The Toner
The Toner is one of a kind. Formulated with natural fruit extracts, a mineral complex, and vitamin C, it accomplishes a long list of goals in one product.
- What It Does – The Toner hydrates, restores, and balances the skin. Its formula works to improve cellular respiration, boost the skin’s complexion, and make it more resilient to stress.
- Key Ingredients – The Toner features hyaluronic acid and fruit extracts to hydrate the skin, a mineral complex of zinc, magnesium, and copper to soothe inflammation, and stable vitamin C to boost collagen production.
- Who Is It Good For – Our toner is great for anyone whose skin is exposed to stress or who’s looking to rejuvenate their complexion. Its formula is also great for vegans.
Forlle’d -- Hyalogy P-Effect Refining Lotion
The Hyalogy P-Effect Refining Lotion moisturizes as it tones, offering a formula full of hydrating ingredients, minerals, and proteins that fight wrinkles.
- What It Does – This toner provides hydration for even the driest skin, hydrating deep into multiple layers while encouraging the growth of proteins. It may also reduce inflammation and promote a healthy immune response, making the skin more resistant to infection.
- Key Ingredients – This formula includes hyaluronic acid for hydration, peptides to boost skin structure, and other proteins to encourage a stronger skin structure. It’s also rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc, and potassium to soothe and nourish the skin.
- Who Is It Good For – This toner is excellent for anyone with very dry skin looking to refine their skin’s appearance.
exquisite Face + Body – Ultra Hydrating Facial Toner
This twice-a-day Ultra Hydrating Facial Toner lives up to its name by hydrating the most dehydrated skin and restoring a smooth skin texture to address wrinkles.
- What It Does – The Ultra Hydrating Facial Toner can help restore the skin’s natural moisture barrier to lock in moisture, soothe the skin, and promote a healthy skin microbiome to slow aging.
- Key Ingredients – This formula features glycerin to pull moisture into the skin, aloe vera and sea salt to soothe and hydrate, and prebiotics to support the skin’s microbiome and promote a healthy pH balance.
- Who Is It Good For – This toner is great for anyone with dry skin, but especially for those with sensitive or reactive skin since it’s paraben, sulfate, fragrance, and phenoxyethanol free.
Don’t skip out on including serums in your routine, as the right serum can encourage skin tightening to combat wrinkles while providing your skin with valuable nourishment to promote better skin texture.
Biologique Recherche – Masque Vivant
The Masque Vivant is a full skincare treatment in one tube, combatting aging and nourishing the skin in one multi-functional mask.
- What It Does – The mask helps purify the skin's outer layer, regulate oil production, and unclog and tighten pores while nourishing and soothing the skin to promote a healthy complexion and strong structure.
- Key Ingredients – In this formula, yeast extract is rich in amino acids and peptides that can boost collagen production, cucumber extract soothes the skin, lactic acid helps promote a clear complexion, and antioxidants help slow cell aging to minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
- Who Is It Good For – This product is excellent for anyone wanting to fight aging, but especially those who have oily, dull, or fatigued skin.
Environ – HA Intensive Hydrating Serum
The HA Intensive Hydrating Serum is a remarkable addition to your skincare routine, boosting the skin’s texture and structure with advanced hydrating powers.
- What It Does – This intensive serum helps your skin hold in moisture, targeting wrinkles and fine lines by firming the skin and promoting more volume.
- Key Ingredients – Hyaluronic Acid makes the foundation of this hydrating serum, helping to hold 1000 times its weight in water and keeping your skin hydrated, firmer, and more youthful.
- Who Is It Good For – This serum is great for anyone, but it’s especially helpful for those with dehydrated skin and is excellent for targeting fine lines and wrinkles.
MBR Medical Beauty Research – Liquid Surgery Serum
MBR’s Liquid Surgery Serum offers a comprehensive treatment in one product, fighting wrinkles and signs of aging from multiple angles.
- What It Does – This serum plumps the skin to restore volume and elasticity, refines the surface texture, limits micro contractions to relieve wrinkles, stimulates collagen production, and promotes moisture retention to leave the skin smooth and more youthful.
- Key Ingredients – This packed formula features ceramides, shambrilla oil, and shea butter to reduce water loss, hyaluronic acid to attract moisture to the skin, golden collagenine to stimulate collagen production, peptides to boost firmness, and more.
- Who Is It Good For – With all the benefits this serum offers, it’s great for anyone looking for a treatment that promotes cellular turnover and smooths the skin texture
Skin hydration is crucial in combatting wrinkles as boosting moisture retention keeps the skin plump and voluminous. The following moisturizers are essential in an anti-wrinkle routine.
Environ – Vita Antioxidant AVST 3 Cream
The Vita Antioxidant AVST 3 Cream is a part of the Environ Skin EssentiA STEP-UP SYSTEM™ and is one of the best wrinkle creams available, rich with many nutrients to combat aging.
- What It Does – This moisturizer enhances the overall appearance of the skin by evening skin tone, fading signs of aging, smoothing wrinkles, and improving skin structure and elasticity.
- Key Ingredients – Its high concentration of vitamin A and vitamin C helps to boost collagen production, while antioxidant-rich botanicals slow cell aging, and peptides reinforce the protein structure of your skin.
- Who Is It Good For – This cream is a great option for anyone with a wide range of skincare concerns, including dull and fatigued skin, scarring, wrinkles, and fine lines.
Forlle-d – Hyalogy Platinum Face Cream
The Hyalogy Platinum Face Cream contains a low molecular weight ionized platinum that protects against harmful free radicals to combat signs of aging.
- What It Does – This wrinkle cream contains antioxidants to reduce signs of aging, improve the structure and appearance of the skin, hydrate, and even out the complexion.
- Key Ingredients – This formula features platinum powder to combat the effects of free radicals, as well as hydrating hyaluronic acid, vitamin-rich, healthy fatty acids to retain moisture, a blend of collagen-boosting peptides, and much more.
- Who Is It Good For – This face cream is great for many skin types, including mature and aging skin, pigmented skin, dehydrated skin, and stressed skin.
Sunscreen is a vastly underrated part of a skincare routine. I often find clients who have strong skincare routines with great products to slow down the aging process but do themselves a disservice by leaving out sunscreen. Sun damage is terrible for wrinkle formation, so a good sunscreen is crucial.
Tatcha – The Silk Sunscreen SPF 50
The Silk Sunscreen from Tatcha is a light, airy mineral sunscreen that offers a strong SPF 50, easily glides across your skin during application, and doesn’t weigh down or clog your skin.
- What It Does – Protects against sun damage that can lead to an uneven skin tone, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles while also providing hydration and antioxidants that combat aging.
- Key Ingredients – The active ingredient in this sunscreen is Zinc, allowing it to reflect sunlight without clogging pores, but with fruit extracts, glycerin, and hydrolyzed silk to provide a light texture and capabilities for slowing aging.
- Who Is It Good For – This sunscreen is great for anyone who will be spending extended time in the sun, especially those with oily or sensitive skin.
Chuda – Sheer Hydrating Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30
The Sheer Hydrating Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is an antioxidant-rich hydrating lotion that also protects against sun damage.
- What It Does – This broad-spectrum lotion hydrates the skin, can address damage, and protects against all types of UV rays, helping to prevent sun damage that can cause an uneven skin tone, wrinkles, and other signs of early aging.
- Key Ingredients – This formula includes ingredients like vitamin B5 and hyaluronic acid to improve skin hydration and structure, while botanicals like olive oil and rose oil provide key antioxidants to slow cell aging.
- Who Is It Good For – With no parabens, sulfates, colors, dyes, or fragrances, this formula is great for anyone with dry or sensitive skin who will be spending time in the sun.
LED light can do wonders for the skin with the right regimen, boosting collagen and offering several other benefits without disrupting the skin.
Celluma – Celluma Pro At-Home Light Therapy Device
The Celluma Pro is a must-have device for any skin type, offering a premium spa-like treatment that combats wrinkles from the comfort of your own home.
- What It Does – The Celluma Pro Emits red LED light to reach below the top layer of skin and stimulate collagen production to fade wrinkles and fine lines.
- Key Ingredients – The Celluma Pro is a device that emits red or blue light, depending on the setting, helping to stimulate collagen production, improve skin texture, and enhance your complexion.
- Who Is It Good For – LED light treatments are a great option for any skin type, especially those with sensitive skin or anyone looking for a way to improve their skin texture without irritation.
Build Your Ideal Skincare Routine To Combat Wrinkles
If you’re looking to improve the health of your skin while combating wrinkles, you need a full arsenal of skincare products to help. Whether you hope to fade existing wrinkles or prevent them from forming entirely, the above products can make all the difference.
Still, fighting wrinkles is just one part of a skincare routine. Explore our full collection of skincare products so you can build a routine that targets all your unique skincare needs.