Generally I feel like my skin is pretty good - it's reasonably balanced, and I don't get a lot of breakouts or dryness. I am starting to get a few lines around my eyes but nothing too dramatic on the aging front. What's bothering me though is that, at the age of 32, I am getting acne around my chin and the top of my neck! What is going on? What should I do?
Sounds like stressful life issues or hormonal imbalance might be the cause of these breakouts. Your skin is a great indicator of what is happening on the inside.
Products to Treat Hormonal Acne
Assuming you have a regular beauty routine, let me recommend a few adjustments to address breakouts. There are lots of choices when it comes to products that treat acne, but my very favorites come from Biologique Recherché and Protective Nourishment.
1. After cleansing it’s important to use a toner to keep the pH of your skin under control. My favorite product is Biologique Recherché Lotion P50V 1970, which works as a micro-exfoliator and hydrating agent at the same time. Apply toner to a small cotton round and dab all over your face, neck and décolleté followed by the Biologique Recherché Serum Complex Iribiol (this serum is made with Iris and Zinc extracts used to treat acne). Apply a few drops to the affected breakout area. (This product is great for cystic acne/breakouts).
2. Use a purifying cream at night to reduce the redness caused by acne and regulate oil production without drying out your skin. I really like Biologique Recherché Crème Dermopurifante, and you can alternate this with any comforting moisturizer you like.
3. Two to three times a week use Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant mixed with their Masque VIP 02 and a pinch of baking soda to purify, balance and brighten the skin. This also helps prevent against hyper pigmentation from post-acne. Follow with moisturizer.
4. As an acne spot treatment use Protective Nourishment Pumpkin Peel. Put a good amount on the blemish site and wear overnight. The natural ingredients pull impurities from the skin to clear the complexion.
5. It may seem obvious or cliché, but you are what you eat! Eat a balanced diet filled with fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables, fish, nuts, healthy oils etc...and pay special attention to foods that are known to balance hormones and are anti-inflammatory including: coconut oil, avocado, gee (any omega 3 fats), Magnesium rich foods or supplements (dark chocolate, Epsom salt baths) Pumpkin seeds contain zinc, Brazilian nuts (Selenium), Carrots (Vitamin A).
6. Be patient treating the skin... there is no overnight fix.
I know you asked mainly about the acne issue, but while I'm on a roll… here's some advice about your eye-lines! The aging process usually starts at around 28-29 years of age, so at 32, it is natural to start to see these beauties. Besides using your regular eye cream, I highly recommend that you use Biologique Serum Elastine. This bio-serum assists in smoothing the epidermis, helps offset the skin's loss of elasticity and also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It is recommended for all skin types and is ideal for treatment of first wrinkles, expression lines, and the eye and mouth areas.
As a mask treatment use Biologique Recherché Patchs Defatigante pre-soaked eye sheet masks that treat the signs of fatigue and aging in the eye contour area. They combine an ideal and natural bio cellulose medium, a tailored shape that perfectly adheres to the eye contour area, and active ingredients suited to the thin and fragile eye contour area. This innovative solution of anti-puffiness, anti-bag and anti-wrinkle agents provides immediate and long-lasting results.