- An LED bed works by emitting a special wavelength of light to stimulate collagen-producing cells and promote blood flow in your skin.
- Using an LED bed is great for rejuvenating the skin’s health and appearance, stimulating collagen production, treating acne, and improving skin tone and texture.
- LED light beds do not emit ultraviolet rays, so they do not burn the skin and are safe for regular use.
- Other health benefits of an LED bed include eased muscle tension, reduced joint pain, and improved energy levels.
While there are plenty of wonderful products you can use to promote the beauty of your skin, I often recommend adding regular LED bed treatments as a supplement to a strong skincare routine because of their vast array of benefits.
From improving circulation to stimulating collagen production, an LED treatment can do wonders for your skin’s appearance and underlying health. Not to mention that this non-invasive procedure is pain and discomfort-free, offering advantages for virtually any skin type. Let’s break down the benefits of an LED bed treatment and why you should consider regular sessions as part of your skincare routine.
How Does an LED Bed Work?
Light-emitting diode (LED) therapy is a treatment that uses light wavelengths to promote healthy skin. This light stimulates cells in the body to produce important substances like collagen and elastin, improve blood flow, and kill bacteria, offering a range of benefits for the skin.
The benefits of LED light therapy were first explored in the 1990s, used for promoting wound-healing and helping to regenerate damaged muscle tissues. Today, it’s a common procedure in the health and beauty world.
LED treatments can use different wavelengths of light, typically red, blue, or yellow, to offer different benefits:
- Red light therapy is commonly used for anti-aging treatments and treating the health and texture of the outer layer of your skin.
- Blue light is normally used for acne treatments, as it targets the oil-producing sebaceous glands below the hair follicles.
- Yellow light stimulates the red blood cells in your skin at a shallow depth to reduce redness, discoloration, and inflammation.
In some cases, the different wavelengths can be used together to provide the full range of potential benefits.
LED light therapy devices, like the Celluma Pro At-Home Light Therapy Device, can be used to target specific areas of the skin, like the face and neck, with red or blue light.
Meanwhile, an LED bed exclusively uses red light to increase blood flow, reduce inflammation, and promote anti-aging effects. It’s also great for providing a full-body treatment that allows you to enjoy the advantages from head to toe.
Health and Beauty Benefits of Using an LED Bed
LED light therapy is one of my favorite skincare routines, and I’m always happy to discuss the many benefits of this treatment because the list is so extensive. My philosophy is that you should always prioritize treatments that rebuild the skin, and LED beds are the perfect example.
LED light therapy is an excellent addition to an anti-aging routine, offering several benefits for your skin’s health and appearance. LED red light therapy helps to promote blood flow in the skin and reduce inflammation, giving your skin a healthier texture and glow. It also encourages your body’s cells to produce natural proteins like collagen and elastin, which can strengthen and rejuvenate the skin, boosting its appearance.
Some of the ways that LED beds can promote rejuvenated skin include:
- Managing dark spots
- Reducing the appearance of scarring
- Minimizing the appearance of wrinkles
- Fading fine lines
- Enhancing skin tone
- Reversing the effects of sun damage
- Promoting a clearer complexion
- Protecting against UV damage
- Healing burn wounds
LED light therapy can be a great option for people who experience difficulty with acne, as the therapy can work to reduce acne through several mechanisms. Incorporating LED therapy into your routine can be a great way to maintain a clear complexion.
LED beds promote acne treatment in three ways:
- For many people, acne is the result of overactive sebaceous glands, which can cause oily skin that clogs your pores. LED light therapy may be able to target these glands to make them less active, so you may experience less acne.
- The light in an LED light treatment may be helpful for killing bacteria deep in the skin, which can prevent the formation of acne—this is especially helpful for people who experience cystic acne or nodules that form deeper in the skin layer.
- Acne is often part of an inflammatory response. LED light therapy has an anti-inflammatory effect, reducing the risk of developing acne.
Natural Collagen Stimulation
Collagen is a natural substance produced by the body, and it’s a key part of the structure of our joints, bones, muscles, and skin. Collagen plays a crucial role in the skin, building up the layers to promote its texture and elasticity while working with elastin, giving our skin a plump, youthful look.
LED beds help to stimulate the body’s natural collagen production by triggering cells called fibroblasts to produce more collagen and elastin. The increased collagen production helps to manage wrinkles and sagging by providing more structure and tightening the skin. Through this process, LED light therapy helps to reduce the effects of aging while giving you more confidence in your appearance.
Relaxation and Well-Being
Although the benefits for your skin are enough reason to pursue a treatment, the effect of LED light beds on your stress levels is an excellent added advantage. Between the calming, warming sensation and the chance to rest for around 20-40 minutes as the light bed works its magic, an LED bed session is like its own spa treatment.
The health and wellness benefits of LED bed treatment include:
- Reduced stress – An LED bed treatment allows you to take time away from your busy schedule, and the treatment itself releases endorphins in the brain, which are both helpful for reducing stress levels.
- Improved sleep – The effects of an LED bed treatment can help relax your body and mind for better sleep and can even improve your circadian rhythm, helping improve your sleep quality.
- Holistic well-being – By offering an anti-inflammatory effect and a calming environment, LED therapy promotes your overall physical and mental health.
Benefits of the treatment aside, being able to rest as the machine works is a peaceful experience in itself. Not only can you take comfort in knowing you’re providing your skin with multiple health and beauty benefits, but you can also enjoy some valuable relaxation time that many of us struggle to fit into our daily routines.
Are LED Light Beds Safe?
LED light beds are considered safe by the American Academy of Dermatology. One of the reasons I am such a fan of LED light therapy for skin treatment is that they’re safe for regular use. These treatments are minimally invasive and do not use UV light, unlike some other forms of light therapy, making them much safer for regular exposure.
LED bed therapy doesn’t cause any pain or burning to the skin. Even better, there’s no downtime or recovery period, so you can go right back into your daily activities.
Because it’s minimally invasive, LED light therapy is a great option for anyone, especially people with darker or sensitive skin. Even people going through chemotherapy can receive LED therapy without adverse effects. LED light beds can serve as a strong alternative to other treatments that may not work for everyone, like chemical peels, dermabrasion, and laser therapy, depending on your skin type and the advice of your esthetician.
As with any skin treatment, there are some potential risk factors to take into consideration before an LED bed treatment:
- Side effects of using light beds are rare, but some people can experience added inflammation, redness, or rashes.
- Avoid this procedure if you use any products that make you sensitive to sunlight.
- If you use Accutane for acne treatment, it can increase your skin’s sensitivity to light and potentially cause scarring.
- Avoid LED therapy if you have an active rash.
- Talk to your dermatologist before trying LED light therapy if you have psoriasis, as this treatment can be helpful for some people but should be closely monitored.
Why You Should Consider an LED Bed Treatment
I recommend LED light bed treatments to many of my clients—not just because of their stated health and beauty benefits but also because I see the advantages of using these treatments firsthand with my clients. I even personally use LED therapy at home.
The above benefits are only the tip of the iceberg. LED light beds are great for a range of additional health benefits. Some of these include:
- Regenerative muscle treatment
- Reduced muscle tension
- Improved skincare product efficacy
- Decreased joint pain
- Reduced muscle soreness
- Enhanced energy levels
Combined, these benefits provide only more reason to add LED bed treatments to your skincare and overall wellness routine. Of course, the only way to see the full advantages of an LED bed session is to try it for yourself. Visit our Joanna Czech New York studio to see how this treatment can boost your skin’s health and appearance.
Schedule an LED Bed Treatment at Joanna Czech
LED light beds offer many excellent benefits, from improving blood flow to stimulating collagen production that keeps your skin firm and lively. Altogether, LED light beds are one of my favorite treatments for keeping my skin clear and youthful.
LED bed sessions are one of the many treatment options we offer at our Joanna Czech New York skincare studio. Our estheticians will work with you to understand your skincare needs and use their advanced expertise to provide you with the treatment that makes the most sense for you.
Visit our New York skincare studio to experience the extensive benefits of LED light therapy for yourself. For additional ways to enhance your skincare routine, explore our collection of skincare products that you can use to supplement LED light therapy and rejuvenate your skin.